1 Name: Umu-Kultumie Tejan-Jalloh
2.Course Medical Laboratory Science
3. A levels: Chemistry , Physics and Maths
4. Journey in 3 words : Exciting, unbelievable , humbling
5. Describe your course :A Medical Laboratory Scientist's role is to provide accurate laboratory results in a timely manner. An estimated 70 percent of all decisions regarding a patient's diagnosis and treatment, hospital admission and discharge are based on laboratory test results.
6.What motivated you to pursue a career in science : To be honest I was motivated to do science based on the fact that I did well in science subjects in secondary school. The reason behind my motivation to continue in science is that I will help people via the health sector.
7. Describe your work-life balance : I work hard during the school year, but I try not to stress myself out. I take breaks if I feel worked up. As a stress relief, I go out with friends sometimes and I enjoy movies.
8. Did you always want to study your course: No. I entered college as a Biological Science major but I switched to MLS because I wasn't really interested in the plant aspect. MLS curriculum have courses like immunology, diagnostic microbiology and pathogenic microbiology which are human based and will help me in graduate school.
9. What advice would you give students wanting to study your course ? The course is hectic, but it is fun. You will actually learn things that you can apply to your daily life. It is not easy but it is doable. You just have to put in the effort.
10.What advice would you give on picking universities ? Find a university that does the senior year medical laboratory science internship.
11.What advice would you give on moving countries for higher education? Moving countries helps you become more independent. It offers a different way of doing work which you can then implement in Sierra Leone. You also become more exposed to different cultures which changes your views in certain topics